Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 25min
|Onions||1 piece||you can also use leeks, or both|
|Carrots||1 piece||I actually forgot to add the grated carrots, but I usually do|
|Oil||3 tbsp||I use Sunflower Seed oil in all my cooking|
|Rice||1 1/2 cups||I used brown rice, but white works too|
|Roasted chicken||1 piece||I made 3 different meals from one roasted chicken. You can also used just cooked chicken breast|
|Bell Peppers||1 piece|
|Fresh cilantro||2 tbsp||these are for garnishing at the end and it is optional|
|Feta cheese||1/2 cups||for garnishing|
|Salt and pepper to taste |
step by step
1. Gather your ingredients. Chop your vegetables.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat add the oil. Add onions, salt and cook,
stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent.
3. Add the peppers and zucchini. Note that I did not peel the zucchini. I find that when
I peel them, they just turn into mush once cooked.
4. Add rice and cook, stirring, until rice grains are opaque.
5. Add broth, bring to a boil and then add the cooked chicken.
I transferred into a pot because I couldn't find the lid for my large pan. Cover, reduce
heat to simmer, and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Turn off heat but let rice sit for
5 minutes undisturbed. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
Serve garnished with feta cheese and parsley.
I like to make this meal with any variation of vegetables that I have in my fridge.
It is a quick and simple but still pretty yummy. An added bonus is that it is gluten free.
Do you like zucchini? What do you like to use them for?
Linking to these awesome parties.